Friday 30 August 2013

Reading – Documentary Storytelling by Sheila Curran Bernard


As I started planning my documentary for assignment 4, I purchased this book to get an over view of real world documentary film making. I was not expecting a text book on making a documentary films but I did find the sections on editing and narration useful. It reinforced the guidelines given in the course material and I had it with me as I planned my interviews with my fellow watch keepers, Jan, Simon and Alice. It was impractical to script the interviews so I asked my subjects to explain to the camera what motivated them to join the trip and how they were getting along. The idea to include a narrator alongside my footage to add some human interest to the story came as a result of reading this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment